|Collection||General Archival Collection|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Orientation: Vertical oval
Portrait of the Museum's first curator, Mary E. B. Norton (1832-1917). She was born on November 30, 1832 in New York state, and educated at the Rockford Seminary in Illinois and in Berlin, Germany. Miss Norton taught botany and geography at public schools in the Midwest for 18 years. In 1878, she joined her brother, Professor Henry Brace Norton, at the State Normal School at San Jose, the predecessor to San Jose State University. When she left there in the late 1880s, her students presented their beloved instructor with a microscope, which is in the Museum's collection.
Miss Norton came to Pacific Grove to teach botany to attendees of the Pacific Coast Branch of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle. Her brother had been instrumental in establishing the institution in Pacific Grove. Miss Norton also served as curator of the Chautauqua Assembly's scientific collection, housed at a variety of buildings-including Chautauqua Hall, the "old parlor" on Fountain Avenue, and the octagon museum. This small museum sat on the same site as the present Museum. She helped to organize the Museum Association, and served as curator of the institution after the building and collection were given to the Association by the Assembly in 1900. She retired in 1909. Miss Norton lived in a small house at 19th and Central, called the "Ivy Cottage."
also marked as # 6/73