|Collection||Old Museum Display|
|Caption||0011 Sands of the world|
|Collector||Leary, Ruth Hooper|
Wall case containing 732 bottles of sand from all over the world with appended list of localities.
Sands of the world ("Sands from all over the world") display case.
Remarks (from catalog card): Information contributed by Mrs. E. C. Ricklefs, 273 Lighthouse Avenue
See Multimedia link for digital copy used in MVSEVM exhibit, 2013.
*Information about the sand collection in a 1922 Curator’s Report about 1921 museum acquisitions. It reads, “Mrs. Sutton’s complete collection of sands gathered from all parts of the world. These in an excellent case were donated by Mrs. Martha Anderson.”
1927 newspaper from scrapook (Uncataloged, oldest scrapbook) states that at a Museum Board of Directors monthly meeting they listened to Ms. Duncan give a Curators report in which she said "Mrs. M. Cornish has given many valuable gifte... including $1000 for building...She recently gave a wonderful collection of sands from all over the world of 683 varieties...Very rare and choice". (She mentions no room and the building is a "Fire Trap").
Another article from same scrapbook: "The other is a case containing 668 small vials of sands collected from places of special interest from all parts of the world. Many of these were collected by Ms. Cornish on her many trips abroad."
From 1946 Inventory: "Sands from all over the world collected by Mrs Ruth Hooper Leary, first wife of Mr. D. Leary and a cousin of Mrs Cornish and of Mrs. E.C. Ricklef's father. Informaion from Mrs. Ricklefs, March 15, 1952
|Other Name||Sand Collection|